I know it has been far to long since I’ve posted any of my projects on this site, but I’ve recently been really busy. Luckily nobody reads this stuff, so we’re all good!
Just in the past few weeks, I’ve made ridiculous progress with my “cue light” interface. This last weekend, I attended the annual Iowa Thespian Festival @ the University of Northern Iowa; One of the shows performed used quite a bit of RGB LED strip lighting (not individually addressable), and I gathered a bit of inspiration knowing that variations of a design I came up with on my own were being used in professional settings.
So I sent in an order to Digikey.com, and the parts arrived. I’ve since added an RS-232 interface using Maxim Semiconductor’s MAX232, and a matrixed button pad along with 3 potentiometers for manual color control.
One of the larger components to the prototyping stage, is of course the programming side of it all. I thought for a proof of concept I wouldn’t need to write anything fancy, so I decided to use the Arduino environment instead of AVR Studio. In order to present the project to our new stage managers without having to plug in to our expensive and vast DMX universe, I used a cheap DMX512 arduino shield as a master, and some analog pots in a configuration similar to a small lighting console.
The updated code for both Master and Slave (for Arduino) can be found here.
thanks for reading.